Old proverb: "To speak the names of the departed is to make them live again."

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dorothy Fieg Roman Passes Away



Dorothy Marie Fieg Roman passed away in a nursing facility in Hillsborough, New Jersey at 11:30 p.m. on July 16, 2012. 

Dorothy, who had been ill for many months, was surrounded by her loving family and she died quietly and without suffering.  Dorothy was 83 years old.

A memorial service is planned for Saturday August 4 at 11:00 a.m. at the Forest Hill Cemetery, 2201 Oneida St. in Utica, New York. 

The youngest of seven children, Dorothy (or, as we called her when we were little, Aunt Dorsey) grew up at 10 N. 6th St. in Oneonta, New York.  She graduated from Hartwick College in Oneonta and was very proud of her affiliation with that school.

On November 5, 1955 she married Robert W. Roman who died in 1976.  She is survived by sons John (Anne), Don (Jennifer) and Mark (Cindy), 6 grandchildren and a sister Maxine Whiteside (Bob).

To make a donation in her memory, make it to the General Fund at Hartwick College. The address is:
     College Advancement
     Hartwick College
     P.O. Box 4020
     Oneonta, NY 13820

4 comments:

Marsha Whiteside said...

From Marsha Whiteside:

To all the Fiegs:

Even though I didn't know my Aunt Dorothy well, she never forgot my birthday and sent a Christmas card up until the last couple of years. Because of that, I always send my nieces and nephews a card, it meant so much to me that she remembered and just wrote a few lines. Of course I wrote her back, it was my only connection and meant a lot to me.

Luckily, I do get to see my nieces and nephews but even so, because of what she did for me I want to do the same and will send them cards until I am no longer able. Her tradition lives on in me!

Love, Marsha

Anonymous said...

I happened to run across your blog tonight and enjoyed reading it. I would love to put your surveys in the notes on my facebook. Would that be OK with you?

A former Oneonta resident

Doris Holm said...

I've known Dorothy since we were little kids, coming together at the reunions at Oak Tree Farm (Aunt Millie's) almost yearly, and when my mother drove to Oneonta in her Ford Model A, stopping to visit the Shields family in Downsville on the way. On one visit back east, we visited her in New Jersey for a few hours, catching up on all the many years gone by, getting news of our children. Since all my siblings are now gone, all I can claim as relatives are the few first cousins on both sides. I will be with you all in spirit at the reunion. Take that special time to make the wonderful memories you'll have forever. I would like to be physically able to travel easily once more, but I will have to just make it a virtual thing. Love to all, Doris

Mike Case said...

Dear Ann and Family

Please know that we share in your sorrow and are saddened that she is no longer present in her earthly domain. Yet we are! consoled in the knowledge that Aunt Dorothy has gone Home - free from all suffering and pain, free from all worry and strife, and lives now with her Creator and celebrates in being reunited with all those who have gone before her. I imagine it quite the reunion going on up there.

Though it's been many years since seeing her I fondly remember her at the the many reunions that I had the pleasure to attend in Milford at Gramma's farm. What fun they were and I relish the many stories and tales told. It was at those reunions and family gatherings that I grew to truly appreciate the gift of our large family and family's history. My only regret is that I was not a few years older that I might have been more inclined to get to know Aunt Dorothy and so many others a little better. But I remain grateful to have been a part of it all.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help ease the burden of your loss. You all will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Very Sincerely - Michael & Jennifer Case and Family.