Old proverb: "To speak the names of the departed is to make them live again."

Friday, January 13, 2012

Child Saved From Drowning (55 Years Ago)

Midge McClenon, who is a Shields relative (Lothar Fieg Sr. married Florence Shields, Midge's aunt), sent this in an e-mail last July.  It is lightly edited, but a fascinating read!

Someone (maybe Greg Fieg...) told me about the time he went swimming - intentionally or not - at a Shields Reunion in Corbett. He got into water over his head and couldn't swim. He said he had no idea who pulled him out - some man - and he went running to Grandma. The man who pulled him out was " young" Tom Hoppey, not to be confused with his father, also named Tom Hoppey, who is Irene Shields Hoppey's husband. "Young" Tom is their son. Irene is the daughter of David and Kate (Haas) Shields. David is Florence Shields Fieg's uncle - just in case you can't follow the lineage any better than I can. I have to have the genealogy in hand!


.... I thought it quite a coincidence that Michele (VanPelt) would bring it up in a conversation at the reunion last Sunday. I had intended to ask if anyone remembered that happening but it had slipped my mind until I heard her talking to Ken Shields about it. Oh, that Ken Shields is not Irene's brother! I'm beginning to wish there were a law against naming children after ancestors! If you have the opportunity, pass the information along to Greg. If it wasn't Greg maybe it was Steven - I've had several e-mails from him.

Maybe we should offer swimming lessons at the Fieg reunion in August!

3 comments:

Doug Fieg said...

OK...so now I have to add my story. I remember when I was very young (pre-school, I'm pretty sure) I believe we were in New York visiting relatives somewhere there was a creek. I don't think it was a lake or pond, but I could be wrong. (I could even be wrong about this being in New York.) Anyway, I went wandering out in the water, I would say up to my waist, and slipped on some rocks. I went under FAST. I distinctly remember seeing tadpoles swimming all around, and there was no way I knew how to get back to the surface of the water. Someone came and pulled me out, and FAST. Like Greg's story, I believe it was a young man/boy. I don't remember having taken in any water, and all that was required was to try to keep me warm. I remember being very chilled, and being told that I was "very lucky." All those points...slippery rocks, tadpoles, cold water...makes me think it was flowing water.

For some reason, my thought all along as to who it was pulled me out was that it was a McGonigal boy. Don't ask me why, but I remember thinking that in the years that followed.

Doug Fieg said...

That was submitted my me, Doug Fieg.

Judy Kestner said...

OK -- we will DEFINITELY have swimming lessons at the reunion. The following message came from Eddie Fieg and the other comment was from Doug Fieg. I do believe that Aunt Dorothy was also saved from drowning once!

Here is Ed's message:

Not Greg -- it was me -- I remember it vividly, I was there with Grandma and Grandpa. I was in big trouble, walked into a drop-off in the river. The guy who saved me was in his street clothes and Grandma was surprisingly ho-hum about the whole event. I had no idea who the rescuer was...till now.


EDWARD L. FIEG
2896 Calle de Cordoba
Fairfield CA 94534
Mobile: (937) 207-9706
Home: (707) 422-2953
efieg@prodigy.net